Hiking North Carolina's National Forests: 50 Can't-Miss Trail Adventures in the Pisgah, Nantahala, Uwharrie, and Croatan National Forests (Southern Gateways Guides)
Hiking North Carolina's National Forests: 50 Can't-Miss Trail
North Carolina's 1.2 million acres of national forestland are some of our state's most distinctive and botanically diverse areas. Veteran nature writer Johnny Molloy welcomes you to enjoy these beautiful and often surprising wild areas, guiding you safely there and back again. Molloy renders the sometimes primitive trails accessible to both beginner and more intrepid hikers, from families with small children to dedicated wilderness wanderers. Spotlighting the best hikes in all four of North Carolina's national forests--Nantahala, Pisgah, Uwharrie, and Croatan, ranging from the mountains to the coast--this book includes some of the state's most heralded destinations and invites you to explore many lesser-known gems.Features include* A hike summary, including distance, time, and difficulty of each trip* Detailed instructions to keep you on the trail* GPS coordinates of every trailhead, a narrative of the hike, and can't-miss features* A cultural and natural history of each area* Best seasons to go* Fees and permits, as well as contact information for each area* Photos and maps to orient you
- ASIN: 1469611678
Pisgah Ranger District [Pisgah National Forest] (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map)
Pisgah Ranger District [Pisgah National Forest] (National Geographic
• Waterproof • Tear-Resistant • Topographic MapHome of the first school of forestry and containing two of the first designated wilderness areas in the eastern United States, Pisgah National Forest is a remarkable land of hardwood forests, mile-high peaks, whitewater rivers, and cascading waterfalls. National Geographic's Trails Illustrated map of Pisgah Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest delivers unmatched detail and valuable information to assist you in your exploration of this breathtaking wilderness that spans over 500,000 acres. Expertly researched and created in partnership with local land management agencies, this map features key points of interest including Shining Rock and Middle Prong wilderness areas, North Carolina Arboretum, Cradle of Forestry in America National Historic Site, Blue Ridge Parkway, Cold Mountain, and more.The Forest Service and North Carolina scenic byways are noted for those wishing to take in the scenery by car. Hundreds of miles of trails, including the Mountains-to-Sea, Art Loeb, Palmetto, and Foothills trails are clearly marked and the map base includes contour lines and elevations. A trail chart with locations, mileage, difficulty ratings and designated use will help you choose a trail that's right for your activity level and interest...
- Color: NC
- Brand: National Geographic
- ASIN: 1566953324
- UPC: 749717017801
Pisgah National Forest: A History
Pisgah National Forest: A
When George Vanderbilt constructed the Biltmore House, he hired forester Gifford Pinchot and, later, Dr. Carl A. Schenck to manage his forests. Over 80,000 of his woodland acres became the home of America's first forestry school and the heart of the East's first national forest formed under the Weeks Act. Now comprising more than 500,000 acres, Pisgah National Forest holds a vast history and breathtaking natural scenery. The forest sits in the heart of the southern Appalachians and includes Linville Gorge, Catawba Falls, Wilson Creek Wild and Scenic River, Roan Mountain, Max Patch, Shining Rock Wilderness and Mount Pisgah. Author and naturalist Marci Spencer treks through the human, political and natural history that has formed Pisgah National Forest.
- ASIN: 1626196346
Best Hikes of Pisgah National Forest, The
Best Hikes of Pisgah National Forest,
From Linville Gorge to the Davidson River Valley, the land comprising Pisgah National Forest has been a source of pleasure to hikers for generations. This guide details almost 100 of the forest's finest trails, selected for their views, the waterfalls they visit, and the diversity of plant and animal life present. The authors hiked all the trails using a hand-held GPS unit. Each trail entry includes distance, elevation gained, GPS coordinates at various points, and a detailed description of the terrain and landscape. The guide also includes maps, as well as sidebars on first aid and items of historic and botanical interest. Black-and-white photos are scattered throughout. Appendixes provide lists of loop trails, hikes for children and the elderly, half-day and full-day hikes, and trails accessible from the Blue Ridge Parkway.Franklin Goldsmith has a degree in philosophy from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and received a degree in engineering from North Carolina State University. His sister, Shannon Hamrick, and her husband, James Hamrick, both held undergraduate and medical degrees from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Franklin and Shannon grew up in McDowell County, North Carolina, at the edge of the Grandfather District of Pisgah National Forest...
- Brand: Brand: John F. Blair Publisher
- ASIN: 0895871904
Linville Gorge, Mount Mitchell [Pisgah National Forest] (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map)
Linville Gorge, Mount Mitchell [Pisgah National Forest] (National
• Waterproof • Tear-Resistant • Topographic MapExpertly researched and created in partnership with local land management agencies, National Geographic's Trails Illustrated map of Linville Gorge and Mount Mitchell provides an unparalleled tool for exploring these remarkable features within Pisgah National Forest. This map includes such key areas of interest as Linville Gorge Wilderness, Mount Mitchell State Park, Craggy Gardens, Grandfather Mountain Biosphere Reserve, Lake James State Park, and Brown Mountain OHV Area. Whether you're exploring on foot, or by horse, bike, or motorized vehicle, you'll find this map an invaluable resource for exploring the miles of mapped trails and roadways within the region, including the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, Mountains-to-Sea Trail, and Blue Ridge Parkway. An extensive chart with the location, mileage, rating, and designated use for dozens of trails and a handy activity guide will help you make the most of your visit. Recreation features are clearly marked, including campgrounds, points of interest, lookout towers, museums, and fishing and swimming areas. The map base includes contour lines and elevations for summits and passes. Every Trails Illustrated map is printed on "Backcountry Tough" waterproof, tear-resistant paper. A fu...
- Color: Black
- Brand: National Geographic
- ASIN: 1566954223
- UPC: 749717017795
Pisgah National Forest T-Shirt
Hiking the Shining Rock and Middle Prong Wildernesses
Hiking the Shining Rock and Middle Prong
A comprehensive new hiking and natural history guide to the trails of North Carolina high country.Tim Homan leads his fellow hikers along 34 trails and trail sections, a 100-mile network that winds through the North Carolina high country (ten peaks over 6,000 feet) of two wildernesses – Shining Rock and Middle Prong – and the Blue Ridge Parkway corridor south of both wildernesses. The trail network also includes a pocket of nonwilderness ― Pisgah National Forest land between the parkway and the Shining Rock Wilderness.Following an informative introduction to the area, Homan provides detailed, in-depth trail narratives. He has divided the guide into six chapters that group trails according to regional cohesion and connectivity. Extensive nature notes including species’ profiles, bloom dates for numerous wildflowers, and black and white botanical drawings frequently follow the in-depth trail narratives.
- Brand: Brand: Peachtree Publishers
- ASIN: 1561456667
Hiking & Mountain Biking Pisgah Forest
Hiking & Mountain Biking Pisgah
The Pisgah District of Pisgah National Forest is one of the oldest recreation destinations in the Southeast. Since its establishment in 1916 it has been a magnet for outdoor adventurers. Begun with a gift of land from the Vanderbilts, Pisgah is home to many famous natural and historic landmarks including Looking Glass Rock, Devil's Courthouse, Graveyard Fields, the Pink Beds, and Bent Creek.This concise guide describes 20 day hikes, 12 overnight hikes, and 29 mountain bike rides with trail details, maps, driving directions, and GPS coordinates for 18 trailheads. It also includes a section listing 21 waterfalls and how to get to them.
- Color: Black
- Brand: Milestone Press
- ASIN: 1889596345
Pisgah National Forest Park T-Shirt - North Carolina Shirt
Pisgah National Forest Park T-Shirt - North Carolina
This Pisgah National Forest Shirt is great for exploring your favorite national forest. Makes a great North Carolina shirt, outdoors shirt, hiking shirt or vacation shirt. Pisgah National Forest shirt for vacation, North Carolina souvenir, birthday gift for outdoorsman, hiking birthday gift, camping birthday gift or outdoor Christmas gift.
- Color: Pink
- Brand: Pisgah National Forest Shirts & Apparel
- ASIN: B07FLNCR9D
French Broad and Nolichucky Rivers [Cherokee and Pisgah National Forests] (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map)
French Broad and Nolichucky Rivers [Cherokee and Pisgah
• Waterproof • Tear-Resistant • Topographic MapOutdoor enthusiasts seeking to explore the western parts of Cherokee and Pisgah National Forests will find National Geographic's Trails Illustrated map of French Broad and Nolichucky Rivers a complete guide to the area. Expertly researched and created in partnership with the National Park Service and others, the map covers with unmatched detail the two forests from their western boundaries to the Tennessee/North Carolina border. Key points of interests featured on the map include Sampson Mountains Wilderness, Paint Creek Corridor and Bald Mountains.Displayed on the map are activity guides listing recreation features, to help you select the best location according to your area of interest. Additionally, trail guides, listing trails with their mileage, difficulty level and designated use, will help you select the best route for exploration. Trails on the map are color-coded according to the designated usage, whether you wish to explore foot, horseback, bike, or motorized vehicle. The Appalachian Trail that snakes through the area is highlighted. The detailed map topography includes contour lines, elevations and water features. Some of the many recreation features shown are campgrounds and backcountry shelters, wildlife and wildfl...
- Brand: Trails Illustrated
- ASIN: 1566953871
- UPC: 749717017825
South Pisgah Ranger District Including Bent Creek
South Pisgah Ranger District Including Bent
Folded map of South Pisgah Ranger District, including Bent Creek. Scale 1:12000 (1 inch represents 1000 ft. 2017 edition, revised. Features hiking and cycling trails, including 16 popular mountain biking rides. All trails are clearly marked easy to identify. This map was designed by locals using the trails regularly and very familiar with the terrain and trails. A great map for bikers and hikers. Local telephone numbers are provided, including emergency and camping information.
- ASIN: 0977091562
JB Print Magnet Pisgah National Forest Explore Wanderlust Camping Hiking Vinyl Decal Sticker Car Waterproof Car Decal Magnetic Bumper Sticker 5"
JB Print Magnet Pisgah National Forest Explore Wanderlust
These magnetic bumper stickers are printed on high-quality vinyl flexible magnetic sheet with weather-resistant UV coating so your magnets can withstand the elements. This coating yields a tough, scratch resistant surface that is extremely durable. Beautiful design. High quality. Professionally printed vinyl magnets / decals. Waterproof, Non-Fade, UV resistant. The usage for the magnets lasts for 7+ years exterior, and even longer for interior. Just stick to any metal, Easy to apply. Look great on your Cars, Trucks, Bumpers, Motorcycles, Lockers, Fridges. Best of all its easily moveable unlike stickers which have adhesive. Use them over and over on different applications.
- Brand: JB Print
- ASIN: B07Q17S3C5
South Holston and Watauga Lakes [Cherokee and Pisgah National Forests] (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map)
South Holston and Watauga Lakes [Cherokee and Pisgah
• Waterproof • Tear-Resistant • Topographic MapNational Geographic's Trails Illustrated map of South Holston and Watauga Lakes is an essential travel companion for all outdoor enthusiasts seeking recreational opportunities in the mountains of eastern Tennessee. Expertly researched and created in partnership with the U.S. Forest Service, Appalachian Trail Conference and others, the map provides unparalleled detail of the area, from the northeastern corner of Tennessee to Erwin in the southwest. Many popular recreation points of interest in the Cherokee and Pisgah National Forests are covered, including Unaka Mountain, Pond Mountain and Big Laurel Branch Wilderness Areas, Roan Mountain State Park and Iron Mountains.Narrow down the best places to visit according to your needs and interests with handy activity guides. Extensive trail charts display each trail's location, mileage, difficulty level and designated usage whether you're traveling on foot, horse, mountain bike, or motorized vehicle. Mapped trails are also color-coded according to their use and the famous Appalachian Trail is highlighted. Navigate with aid of the map's contour lines, elevations, labeled peaks, shaded relief, selected waypoints and water features. Some of the many recreation features noted include area...
- Brand: National Geographic Maps
- ASIN: 1566953782
- UPC: 749717017832
Pisgah National Forest Shirt Vintage Bigfoot Tee
Summer Camps around Asheville and Hendersonville (Images of America)
Summer Camps around Asheville and Hendersonville (Images of
Historically, western North Carolina has been a haven for summer camps, sustaining one of the highest concentrations of summer camps in America. For generations, the natural beauty, rustic terrain, and cool climates of the southern Appalachian Mountains have attracted campers from around the world. In the last decades of the 19th century, the summer camp movement arose in the Northeast in response to industrial era concerns about the waning of traditional values and new child development theories. By the turn of the 20th century, the first residential summer camps had emerged around the popular resort towns of Asheville, Hendersonville, Brevard, Black Mountain, and Lake Lure, North Carolina. Founded on lakeshores surrounded by woodlands, these camps offered an array of activities, such as archery, canoeing, horseback riding, swimming, and woodcraft, that instilled lifelong lessons in youth and forged lasting friendships. Today, many of the same camp traditions like council rings and campfire stories are still passed along each summer. Readers will recognize familiar cabins and lakefronts with nostalgia in this collection of vintage photographs.
- Brand: Arcadia Publishing SC
- ASIN: 1467116092
Retro Vintage Pisgah National Forest Tee Shirt
Retro Vintage Pisgah National Forest Tee
This Pisgah National Forest Tshirt is a great gift for visitors or if you want to send something to friends and family far away: a nice souvenir of your "home" forest! Say Merry Christmas with a touch of home!
- Color: Grey
- Brand: Captivaca US National Forest Souvenir Shirts
- ASIN: B07H9ZDS2Z
Pisgah National Forest New Vintage Logo Long Sleeve Shirt
Pisgah National Forest New Vintage Logo Long Sleeve
Is Pisgah National Forest your favorite? This vintage-style shirt design makes a great gift for visitors, grandkids, tourists! Not found in any gift shop. National Forests in the US don't get the same attention that Parks and Monuments do, but they're some of the best recreation areas anywhere. Get this souvenir for yourself or friends in faraway places!
- Color: Grey
- Brand: US National Forest Souvenir T-Shirts
- ASIN: B07GRS42PD
Great Smoky Mountains National Park (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map)
Great Smoky Mountains National Park (National Geographic Trails
• Waterproof • Tear-Resistant • Topographic MapAmerica's most visited national park and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Great Smoky Mountains National Park is both renowned for its diversity of plant and animal life and rich in remnants of Southern Appalachian mountain culture. National Geographic's Trails Illustrated map of the park combines unparalleled detail and valuable information for outdoor enthusiasts seeking to explore all the area has to offer with particular attention shown to backcountry campsites, shelters, and stream crossings. A detailed profile of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, which snakes along the ridge of the Great Smoky Mountains, provides a handy tool for hikers. The map features many key points of interest as well, including Cades Cove, Fontana Lake, Maryville, and Gatlinburg. With over 800 miles of mapped trails, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park map can guide you off the beaten path and back again. The clearly marked trails include mileages between intersections. The map base includes contour lines and elevations for summits, passes and many lakes. Some of the many recreation features include: visitor centers, campgrounds, trail shelters, trailheads, boat ramps, scenic overlooks, interpretive trails and quiet walkways.Every Trails Illus...
- Color: Ta
- Brand: National Geographic
- ASIN: 1566953014
- UPC: 749717010086
Pisgah National Forest Camping Journal: Blank Lined Journal for North Carolina Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, Kayaking, and All Other Outdoor Activities
Pisgah National Forest Camping Journal: Blank Lined Journal
6”X9” 120 blank lined pages in this journal that’s so much more than a notebook. Log your hikes. Log weather reports. Document your plans for the future. Capture your memories in your own written word!Scroll up and click the button to BUY TODAY!No need for electricityNever needs chargingWon’t break if you drop itIt will never expireNever need software updatesThe gift that’s actually usefulLooks great on a shelfThe right size for everyoneAffordable, thoughtful giftClick on the author’s name for more journal gifts!
- ASIN: 1797886622
Upstate SC Trail Guide and Map: The Blue Wall
Upstate SC Trail Guide and Map: The Blue
The most comprehensive trail guide available of the Upstate of South Carolina. This map covers the area extending from Jones Gap State Park to Whitewater Falls.Hiking opportunities abound across the entire area while mountain biking can be found in pockets like Paris Mountain State Park, Pleasant Ridge County Park and the SCDNR Jocassee Gorges Management Area.Include six South Carolina state Parks, The Mountain Bridge Wilderness, Jocassee Gorges management area in South Carolina, an inset of Paris Mountain State Park.The most comprehensive map-trail guide published for the region.Scale 1:36,000Contour interval 40 ft on major map
- ASIN: 098571333X
Pisgah National Forest - North Carolina
North Carolina's Pisgah National Forest covers a vast area of 512,758 acres. The forest was created in 1916 after the purchase of 86,700 acres form the estate of George Vanderbilt II who built the famous Biltmore Estate near Asheville. The Blue Ridge Parkway runs through much of the Forest and ...
- Likes: 76
- View count: 13741
- Dislikes: 0
Exploring Asheville, NC (Pisgah National Forrest)
Welcome to Asheville North Carolina. Right next to Pisgah National Forrest where we can see Alice through Looking Glass Falls and slide down waterfalls right next door at Sliding Rock! MORE SLIDING ROCK w/ Dreaming Big SC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGfQ0Bv1hVI Some more footage: https:/...
- Likes: 32
- View count: 3330
- Dislikes: 4
Pisgah National Forest - Hiking, Camping, and Fishing the Pisgah Ranger District
This is my 3 night stay in the Pisgah National Forest. The scenery was stunning for this trip, and weather fantastic.I explored Looking Glass Rock, Looking Glass Falls, the Graveyard Fields area, Sliding Rock Recreation Area, and the Davidson River area. I will definitely be coming back again som...
- Likes: 49
- View count: 9345
- Dislikes: 4
The Overnight Solo Adventure - Pisgah National Forest - The Outdoor Gear Review
Support TOGR with Patreon : https://www.patreon.com/TOGR Check out our web site for more information concerning everything seen on our Channel including reviews, insight into what is coming up and a chance to vote and influence our upcoming overnight adventures. http://www.theoutdoorgearreview.c...
- Likes: 1324
- View count: 133871
- Dislikes: 84
5 Waterfalls of Pisgah National Forest, NC
Sliding Falls, Looking Glass Falls, Triple Falls, High Falls and Hooker Falls. All in the NC Pisgah National Forest.
- Likes: 127
- View count: 26484
- Dislikes: 7